Monday, December 10, 2007

Film Review: The Darjeeling Limited (2007)

I've had a very wide selection of reactions when watching Wes Anderson films. The first one I saw was The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) which I really enjoyed. Then Rushmore (1998) which I thought was overly pretentious. As for The Life Aquatic (2004), I had mixed feelings. So needless to say, I approached The Darjeeling Limited (2007) with some trepedition. Thankfully however, I quite enjoyed the film.
The short film that played before it was quite interesting, and I wonder if I would have enjoyed the actual film as much if I hadn't seen it, as it originally was released...meh,probably.
The film concerns three American brothers who embark on a spiritual journey by way of and Indian transport train, named of course, The Darjeeling Limited. As the film goes on, we learn different secrets and weird traits associated with the sibilings, all of who try to just get along.
I'm not sure why I liked this film. I'm not sure that it was anything special. But I found myself enjoying it the whole way through, never once getting bored or anxious, which usually happens at least once to me in Wes Anderson films.
Anyway, if you love Wes Anderson, you're going to love this film. If you don't...well, you'll still probably find something to enjoy here.

7/10

No comments: